Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.03.10, 12:36 AM   #1
MagicMan
Mini-Z Magician

Send a message via ICQ to MagicMan Send a message via AIM to MagicMan Send a message via MSN to MagicMan Send a message via Yahoo to MagicMan
Just How Important Batteries Really Are:

I've done searching for batteries on these forums, and found that not many people touch upon it. This could be for one of two reasons, either A, we have an unspoken knowledge on what batteries are best, or B, you just dont know what is best. Either way, I have built my own custom home made discharger, and had the cells voltage read with time passed until time of death (no more battery life) and built a graph indicating what batteries did what... note I have 4 different sets of all of these batteries that I am testing, took all 4, and averaged the plot points, even though each set wasn't drastically far off from eachother. I tested 4 different types of batteries. The Intellect 750's, the Rayovac/RadioShack IC3 800's, the PN 800's, and last but certainly not least, the Duracell 900's.

In light blue: Intellect
In Light gray: IC3
In Light green: Duracell
In Light orange: PN

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...2000/Graph.jpg

Now understand that this discharging is not directly related to driving a mini-z. mini-z's don't put out a 7 amp discharge and then start lowering as it goes. So what you see here on the graph lasting less than 20 minutes, DEFINATELY does not directly relate to your mini-z lasting exactly this long. This is just a good way to compare batteries, and their dumping habbits, and punch.

Now, after testing the batteries, I found absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. From personal use, I find the Intellects to be the best in heats. They give you the most punch in 7 minutes compared to any other battery. And I always said, 'the Intellect is an IC3 on steroids' note the power curve, it's always just a notch higher than the IC3. They both have exponential curves to them.

The PN is almost as good as the Intellect, also i weighed all of these batteres, oddly enough the Intellect is the heaviest. and PN's lightest. So taking that into consideration, the PN's compete closely to the Intellects, but they do not out punch them. But they seem to outlast that last bit of juice that they have. However, in real world experience, that would be time to change batteries anyway.

Now, the Duracells, I saw these in Wallmart, and remembered a horrible experience with their 750's. And noticed a new brand of 900's out. So I gave them a shot, they had awesome punch, and on their first use, they just didn't want to run down. very very awkward. So I decided to run them at a large track for a lengthened amount of time. and these babies did a straight 30 minutes without a hint of dumping. Note the 'Linear' curve in the drop of voltage over time. The curve isn't exponential. These are the Ultimate consistancy batteries to me. Awesome for endurance racing. And considering that the Duracell charger charges in 30 minutes, by the time you're poppin in your third set, your first is fully charged.

I was so happy with the duracells, I went out and bought the 2500 AA's for my TX, and I must say I'm pleased. Much better than the Energizer 2500 AA's that I owned prior.

I'd love to try out other battereis that you guys may mention on this discharger, however it seemed to have taken a dump when my friend decided to sit on it in my car. It wasn't his fault, I didn't remember leaving it there.

Reguardless, I hope this is all helpful to you guys.
Drive long! and hard! .... wait... maybe not...
Old 2006.03.10, 09:30 AM   #2
HaCo
02-Racer

Here is my test, voltage is much more stable, but it's over a longer period, I discharge with 1A.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6...tortest4jz.png
HaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.10, 10:00 AM   #3
michvin

"the big yellow one.." was kinda expected in your signature
Old 2006.03.10, 10:12 AM   #4
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

This is some good research and a great writeup. We should make this one a sticky...including HaCo's data.

and, I don't know why there isn't more info on batteries. I think partly people find cells that work and partly we don't know.

Also, it takes a long time and energy to test a set of batteries using a Z. You have to have access to a track that you can run solo until the batteries die and you have to actually take note of how the batteries are performing.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.10, 10:56 AM   #5
Mojar7070
Racer4Life

Has any of you guys ever used these batteries?? (pictures attached) They're called X1 batteries. They're 800mah. They come in 20 cells for $25 usd, pretty good if you ask me. I got them a electronics place called "Fry's Electronic" not sure if you have them at your location.

I've use all of the ones you guys tested, but by far, in my opinion these are probably the best batteries i've used. The initial punch stays through out the whole heat and doesn't lose power. The heat's last about 5 mins at my track and they have a 10 min main. I haven't done any technical research, but a lot of my testing has been on the track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030424-1.jpg (19.4 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg P1030425-1.jpg (19.9 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by Mojar7070; 2006.03.10 at 10:59 AM.
Mojar7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.10, 11:04 AM   #6
Sinister_Y

Hi,

Personally, i use Intellect and GP batteries. I also have some other brands, just for test purposes, like Accupower etc... LIke mentioned, Intellect has good punch, although I do have some GP 800's that kick harder and longer than the intellects. I used to race 1/10 and know about battery matching, but sold all the stuff years ago. When I picked up R/C again, only mini-z, I bought a charger that is also a discharger and can match individual AAA cells. So, yah, a little obsessed, but hey..whatever. Put together all the cells that were similar. To do true matching you need cases of batteries and then put the closest together. I just took the sets I have (I think I have about 20 packs of cells for my mini-zs) and put the closest ones together. Everyone that I race with considers my cars fast and batteries are a big part of it. But, once you get to Fetted or AD Band cars (which I am fortunate to have both)..power isn't so much an issue, it's run time associated with that output level. For the most part, internal resistance is the culprit against bad performace figures from batteries (i.e. showed in the form of heat etc...)

Anyway, It's good all you guys did your analysis work, however, I just downloaded and viewed each manufacturer's datasheets and found that this best way to select the best manufacturer/cells. The only one I couldn't get a spec on was the intellect. I picked that up purely from these forums and one very quick guy at the track who used intellect only and thought to give it a try.

Just my 2 cents...
Sinister_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.10, 01:13 PM   #7
MagicMan
Mini-Z Magician

Send a message via ICQ to MagicMan Send a message via AIM to MagicMan Send a message via MSN to MagicMan Send a message via Yahoo to MagicMan
abracadabra

Im glad to see you guys gettin into the batteries, and glad to see that this is of use, yeah I think intellects are the best for power on any race heats up to 10 minutes. and endurace goes hands down to duracel. If you guys find any new info, please post.

The Magic Man
Old 2006.03.10, 01:48 PM   #8
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

I would also like to know if anyone has info on cycling batteries or what to do with a freshly opened set.

Do you guys cycle batteries? If so, how many times and how often?
Old 2006.03.10, 01:49 PM   #9
bobbyz

i agree this is good info. thanks for the research and passing it on. i have seen in the last couple weeks that 1000mah aaa batteries are available. i think gp has a set and some other brand as well. has anyone tried or got ahold of these cells yet?
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.10, 02:22 PM   #10
Mojar7070
Racer4Life

I'm not sure if you guys do the same thing but I charge/discharge new batteries about 3-4 times. I use the Energizer 15min charger and a Novak Discharger tray (maybe extreme for 1/28th scale). I charge it full then run and discharge to .9 volts about 4-5 times. That should get the chemicals in the battery up and running.

I usually do this regiment for new batteries only.

Also, it's a good habit to have practice batteries and race batteries. If you guys don't it already.
Old 2006.03.10, 02:57 PM   #11
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

I'm glad to see someone else picked up on the Duracell 900's, I have mentioned them a few times at the DC GTGs, and I have 5 sets now. They are a good deal at under $10, and always test out over their advertised rating on my LaCrosse BC-900 (quite often 950+). Unfortunately, it looks like they are pushing 750mAh sets now, so the 900mAhs are harder to come by. As far as cycling new sets, I usually use the refreshing settings on my charger, which will keep cycling them until it stops seeing gains. I probably cycle my batteries entirely too often once they're in use, and I'd certainly like to know if anyone knows how often one should fully cycle batteries once they're in regular use.
soyverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.10, 04:10 PM   #12
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I cycle new cells at least 5 times before I use them. I use a Duracell 30 minute charger, and Mini-discharger until the light goes out on each cell.

I have used Intellect, Powerex 800, IC3, PN 750, and the new PN 800. Right now I only use the Intellect for races and the other cells for practice. I have stopped using IC3 cells altogether. They are very picky when charging, and alot of time after charged they will not work for a few minutes if at all.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.10, 04:58 PM   #13
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Charging race batteries

So, you guys that have race batteries and practice batteries...

Let's say you race once a week, when do you charge your race batteries? I imagine you charge them sometime shortly after the race, but then do you top them off the day before or the day of?

I know they lose some charge each day the are stored, I was just wondering how you guys resolved this.

And do you use your race batteries only for the Mains or do you also have sets for the qualifying heats?
Old 2006.03.10, 08:18 PM   #14
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
spoon, i am going to try using my intellects for mains and ic3's for qualifiers/practice

i have already cycled my intellects twice. they will be sitting in my charger tomorrow morning as well.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.10, 08:47 PM   #15
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I usually charge them after the race, and discharge and recharge them before using the next race.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote